Whew. This week has been a dooooozy! The kids were home for Winter Break, I SNEEZED AND HURT MY BACK, and then I had a reaction to my allergy shots yesterday. Its always fun to have a productive day planned, and have those plans interrupted by 2 shots of epinephrine. On top of all that, its been raining in Atlanta for basically the entire month of February and I. AM. OVER. IT.
But today the sun is out! It’s cold, but I can see blue skies and I’m coming back to life. I don’t know how you people in the PNW do it, but I also feel like I understand grunge music a little better now.
Today’s freezing temps call for a warm and tasty bowl of stew. So pull out your pressure cookers and get this one in your belly! It is warm, spicy, and so filling! I used boneless pork chops, but you can use whatever cut of pork you like slash whatever is on sale. OR chicken. OR add more beans/hominy/vegetable broth to make it vegetarian. Need it to be gluten free? Skip the flour. I love how soups and stews can be switched up to meet any dietary need!
Once you’ve stewed your stew, top it with some tasty toppings. I like mine with avocado, feta and some crunchy radish. But use what you like and whatever you have! You seriously can’t go wrong with this one!
Pork + Poblano Stew
- 1 lb boneless pork chops, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 4oz can diced green chiles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14oz can of hominy, drained and rinsed
- 14oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small/1/2 large head of cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- Optional toppings: feta, radish, avocado, lime, pico de gallo
- Turn pressure cooker onto the saute setting. Once it is hot, add a drizzle of olive oil and brown the pork.
- Stir in flour and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and give it a good stir. Bring it up to a boil.
- Change the setting on your pressure cooker to the Meat/Stew setting (on mine it is High pressure for 20 minutes).
- Manually release the pressure and the stew is done!
- Serve with toppings of choice! It would be great with lime, pico de gallo, avocado, cheese, and radish! Enjoy!