I’m not sure how this happened, but Christmas is next week?!? I’m in holiday prep mode. I’m baking like crazy. I think all our presents are purchased and I’m PLANNING on wrapping them at some point. Maybe.
Growing up in San Antonio, one of our Christmas traditions was to have a TexMex feast on Christmas Eve. Our kitchen would be filled with tamales, enchiladas, guacamole and Velveeta queso. Its my absolute favorite meal of the year, and I’ve continued the tradition with my family and friends here in Atlanta. I woke up this morning and my house smelled like the cheese enchiladas I made last night, and it was the perfect start to a cold December morning! Thanks to a few restaurants here and Homesick Texan’s recipes I’ve been able to recreate this family tradition here, but you know me. I always need to change things up and add new items to the menu!
This year’s new recipe addition is my Short Rib Barbacoa with Broccoli+Jicama Slaw! Short Ribs are always so dang tasty, but feel fancy to me, so these feel like the perfect holiday tacos! And BONUS…I made them in my pressure cooker, so they don’t take all day! They are so flavorful and they are so tender that they just fall apart. If Christmas tacos are calling your name, give these a try! The Broccoli+Jicama Slaw adds the perfect tang and crunch to these super rich tacos too! If you are making roasted broccoli this week, save those stems to add to this simple salad!
Here are the tools I used, in case you need to add a few last minute kitchen gadgets to your holiday wish lists!
Short Rib Barbacoa
- 4 lbs short ribs
- Kosher salt – enough to generously sprinkle over the ribs
- Flour – enough to sprinkle over the ribs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup beer (I used Tecate).
- Set short ribs on a baking sheet, and generously sprinkle with Kosher salt, on all sides. Let sit on the counter for about 30 minutes so that they come to room temperature.
- Set pressure cooker to the saute setting. While it is heating up, lightly dredge the ribs in flour.
- Add oil to the pot.
- Brown the short ribs on all sides, being careful to not over crowd the bottom of the pot. This may take a few rounds. Set the browned ribs to the side.
- Add in onion, bell pepper, garlic powder, chile powder, cumin, and salt. Cook 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- Add the short ribs back into the pot. Pour in broth and beer.
- Lock up the pressure cooker, and cook at high pressure for 45-60 minutes. Ribs will be done when they fall off the bone. If they aren’t quite done, but put them back in for more time until they are falling apart!
- Once the meat is done, remove from the pot and turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend up all the broth/vegetables to make a DELISH sauce for your tacos! Add the meat back in and ENJOY!!
- 2-3 leftover broccoli stems, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 small-medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 head napa cabbage, thinnly sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Add all veggies to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Stir in lime juice, mayo and spices.
- Add to any tacos or bowls and ENJOY!
**This post contains affilliate links to products that I use and love! I hope you love them too!**