I feel like cauliflower and chick peas are both having a moment right now. Everything has these ingredients, and they are being used in pretty creative ways! So I thought I would jump on the band wagon! I always WANT hummus, but I never have it. And I never have chick peas in my pantry so that I could make it myself. But I do always have cauliflower. And if you buy tahini once, you have enough for an entire year so that was in my fridge as well. So cauliflower hummus was made!
Of course I couldn’t leave it PLAIN. That wouldn’t be on brand. It needed a little warmth and spice and you know my love for roasted peppers! I added a roasted jalapeno to the traditional hummus flavors. Let me tell you, it is GOOD. I don’t even like raw carrots, and I ate all the carrot sticks on this plate because I needed to get more of the hummus into my mouth! It is thick and creamy and spicy. Hummus perfection!
Roasted Jalapeno Cauliflower Hummus
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp cumin
- Zest+Juice of 1 lemon
- Place cauliflower florets and garlic into a medium sized pot. Cover with water.
- Add big pinch of salt (maybe a tablespoon or so). Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low heat.
- Cook cauliflower and garlic until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, roast the jalapeno. I do the same method as my RIY Roasted Red Pepper, but I place the jalapeno on a pan or cast iron skillet under the broiler so it doesn’t fall off the oven rack. Once it is charred on all sides, steam in a zipper bag, remove skin, stem, and seeds.
- Drain cauliflower and garlic.
- Add everything to a blender, and blend.
- Taste and add any salt or lemon juice to taste.
- Eat with pita chips, on a wrap, with a plate of veggies, or just with a spoon!