One of my favorite desserts of ALL TIME is the Cowboy cookie. If you are not from Texas or are unfamiliar with the treat, they are chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with pecans. They are crunchy, chewy, and sweet. And there are absolutely no raisins! Hooray!
I’ve been wanting to make a more acceptable way to eat these babies for breakfast. Don’t get me wrong. If they are in my house, I am eating them morning/noon/night. But I hear that frequently eating cookies for breakfast is frowned upon?
May I present to you a crunchy, chewy, baked oatmeal. Inspired by Homesick Texan’s Caballero Cookies, I added some espresso powder and a pinch of cayenne. I also added a few scoops of Vital Protein Collagen Peptides for extra protein. They do not disappoint! A few other healthy swaps (coconut oil and maple syrup), and you have a sweet breakfast you can feel good about eating! Pair it with some yogurt and your favorite caffeinated beverage and yippie ki yay!
Cowboy Oatmeal Bar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease an 8×8 baking pan (I just used a little more coconut oil)
- Combine melted coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup and collagen powder.
- Stir in oats, cinnamon, salt, espresso powder and cayenne.
- Fold in pecans and chocolate chips
- Press the oat mixture into the prepared pan
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and start pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool, remove from pan, and cut into 9 squares. Enjoy!
** This post contains affiliate links to products that I use and love **